Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Car Accident

This weekend was eventful for sure, but didn't go as planned. The original plan was to leave Flagstaff at around noon Friday, Staci and Drew's wedding that night, Saturday go to the Zoo, and Sunday spend time with family. Well, most of that changed...

Friday Karisa and I didn't leave the apartment till about the usual time around 1pm. Which was fine, no biggie. Jamie was doing Karisa's make-up to practice for her wedding, and then she did my hair for the wedding I had that evening. I looked so pretty and felt like a princess! I kinda looked like Auroa from Sleeping Beatuy, or Snow White. You kinda had to see it. Anyways, Karisa and I were headed down the usual way and the trip was going really fast. I was telling her my long story about a certain friend so time passed quickly while we were enjoying each other's company. We get into the Phoenix area, on the I-17 still and right across from Sky Harbor Airport when it happened.

All I remember was talking to Karisa when the black car in front of us stopped suddenly. As a natural reaction I yelled "KARISA!!" cause she was driving, and she slammed on her brakes. Unfortunately, they didn't work quick enough or not at all and we slammed into the car in front us going probably about 45-50mph still. I just remember yelling her name, turning my head, then I blacked out and came to conciseness sitting in a car filled with toxic smoke from the airbags going off. My first instinct was to get out cause the smoke was horrible and I couldn't breath, so I went to open my door but of course I was opening it into another lane were traffic was going so I was stuck inside. I was coughing and told Karisa I couldn't breath, so she got out and I had to work my way out the drivers side. When I got out I began to cough, and my chest was killing me to the point where I was having a hard time breathing. Karisa's hand and face was burned by the airbag hitting her but other than that she seemed okay.

The car in front us turned out to be an undercover cop with his trainee on duty. Luckily they got out and they said they were fine, the girl's (passenger) neck hurt some but otherwise they were fine. Then the witness was actually an EMT on his day off, who was on his motorcycle. He was very nice and was making sure Karisa and I were okay. He told us to sit down, checked our pulses real quick, and then was trying to make conversation with us to make sure we were alright. The cop then took things from there calling other officers, firetruck, and ambulance. We drew a crowd that was for sure. We had six cop cars easily, the firetruck, and ambulance.

I have to say though, with all the attention no one would really talk to us. They wouldn't tell us what was going on, etc. They kept talking to the undercover cop. Luckily, this other undercover cop lady who came to the scene stuck around with us to make sure we were okay. She asked if she needed to get us anything, wanted to know if we were told anything, etc. She was the one that actually told us we hit an undercover cop- we originally thought he was just off for the day. The firemen that also were at the scene, weren't that nice either. Yes, a couple were hot, but the guy that talked to us was pretty rude. Karisa was doing fine, but I was having a hard time breathing and my chest killed. All he did was ask my age, asked if I had heart problems, and then was like "You are 21, you will survive" and then walked away. Kinda pissed me off. He didn't bother to check me out like take a pulse and different things. They didn't make sure I was okay until I finally complained to the officer that I was hurting and I wanted to make sure I didn't need to go to the hospital. Unlike the undercover cops we hit, they tested them with everything, and even took them to the hospital even though they said they were okay.

After the cops were all done with things Karisa and I were told we could go home. Karisa in the end was just burned on her hand pretty bad and little on her face. I on the other hand have burns on my arm and head, seat belt burn on my neck/chest, and my chest is all kind of colors from bruises.

I would of taken pictures but we were both in shock and that was the last thing on my mind. Though here's an idea of what Karisa's car looked like, but the front was still more damaged then this one I found. Plus, I can't really take pictures of my injuries for reasons.

After the accident which occurred at around 3pm, I didn't get home until 5pm and Staci and Drew's reception started at 6. I had to take a quick shower to get the toxins off, and then run to their reception. I think I was still in shock/slight concussion because I was acting a little different than usual.

Saturday, I didn't end up going to the Zoo because I was having hard time breathing and was hurting bad in my chest area. So needless to say Saturday and Sunday I didn't really do much yet I was still kinda busy running little errands here and there.

Even though I got hurt, and still hurt pretty bad, I'm glad I was with Karisa. I couldn't imagine what would of happen if I wasn't there with her. We both said that we're no longer allowed to travel together anymore because something always happens (first time her tire blew, then the accident, and on the way up my Dad's truck overheated so we had to turn around and switch cars before heading back up again), but we both know we're going to travel together more anyways.

I'm so glad that Heavenly Father has blessed me by protecting me and Karisa. I know we are pain, but things could of been much worse and I know he was protecting us.


Chris and Tara Andrus said...

Marie! Oh my gosh, how scary! I'm glad you didn't get hurt too bad! BE SAFE! It scares me when I hear about my friends in accidents! :(

LeAnne said...

Scary scary scary!!! So glad you are safe. :) Take care...and take it easy.